Prep: 15 minutes
Cool, pretty—and pink. The essence of summer. That’s what this watermelon granita is all about.
If you’re watching your weight, it’s also a good, low-sugar alternative to ice cream. Savoring a whole cup will cost you only 49 calories.
It’s nutritious too. Watermelon has lycopene, an antioxidant, and loads of vitamins A and C.
Per Serving: 70 calories, 0 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 19 g carbohydrate, 0 g dietary fiber, 1 g protein, 0 mg sodium.
2 tsp. sugar, divided
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 to 2 lbs. cubed seedless watermelon
Mint leaves for garnish, if desired
- Using fine grater, scrape outer green part of limes' skin (the "zest").
- In small bowl, combine zest, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1/4 cup of juice from limes.
- In small saucepan, combine remaining sugar with 1/3 cup water.
- Bring mixture to boil.
- When sugar is dissolved, add zest mixture.
- Remove from heat, stir and cool to room temperature.
- In blender or food processor, puree melon to make 3 cups liquid.
- Place in 9"x 9" metal pan.
- Blend in syrup.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer.
- Freeze until slightly hard, 6-8 hours; stir.
- Before serving, scrape well with fork and scoop into serving bowls.
- Garnish with mint if desired and serve immediately.