Summer Squash-Zucchini Gratin
Prep: 20 minutes
If your garden is starting to overflow with summer squash and zucchini, this recipe is the perfect way to use up summer's bounty and get a dose of healthy fiber into a meal.
Plus, it is easy to pull together and comes out of the oven all golden, bubbly and delicious. What is not to love?
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 tablespoon reserved)
1/4 cup sliced yellow onions
1/4 cup sliced red pepper
1/4 cup sliced green pepper
2 pounds sliced squash and zucchini
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk (heated)
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Melt the 5 tablespoons of the butter in a large saute pan.
- Cook the onions and peppers over low heat until tender.
- Add the squash and zucchini, cover and cook another 10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Stir in the flour.
- Add the hot milk and cook over low heat until sauce has slightly thickened.
- Pour the mixture into an 8x10 baking dish.
- Combine the breadcrumbs with the cheddar cheese and sprinkle on top of the squash-zucchini mixture.
- Dot with 1 tablespoon of butter cut into small bits and bake 20 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.