Skillet Chicken With Kale
Prep: 5 minutes
This healthy, one-skillet meal from the American Institute for Cancer Research is full of fiber, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients and flavonoids that lower cancer risk. and fill you up. Plus, who doesn't love less dishes to clean up!
Per serving: 345 calories, 16 g total fat (3 g saturated fat),19 g carbohydrate, 33 g protein, 3.5 g dietary fiber, 464 mg sodium
Reprinted with permission from the American Institute for Cancer Research. View more great recipes at AICR.org/healthyrecipes.
2 Tbsp. olive or canola oil, divided
4 chicken legs (about 1 lb.), skinless
4 chicken thighs (about 1 lb.), skinless
4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1 package (16 oz.) pre-cut fresh kale, divide
1/2 tsp. salt, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning, plus 1/2 tsp.
1 can (14.5 oz.) no salt added fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1¾-2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In large ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and brown, 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil and sauté garlic 30 seconds.
- Add half the kale and half the salt and sauté about 2 minutes until kale is wilted, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining kale and salt and cook about 2 minutes until kale is wilted, stirring constantly.
- Add a few grinds of fresh pepper and 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Turn off heat.
- Arrange chicken over kale. Spoon broth over chicken. Season chicken with a few more grinds of pepper and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Cover and bake 55 minutes. (If not using ovenproof skillet, transfer kale mixture to casserole dish, top with chicken, add seasonings, cover and bake.)
- In four wide soup or pasta bowls divide kale and top with chicken. If you prefer less broth, save leftover broth for another soup or stew.