Salmon and Vegetable Oven Kebabs
Prep: 45 minutes
These savory kebabs, tangy with lemon and garlic, are perfect for a special dinner.
Light and flavorful, they’d also make a lovely lunch.
The salmon is rich in omega-3, an anti-inflammatory fatty acid that’s good for your heart, and the veggies and Mediterranean marinade offer healthy phytochemicals.
Per serving: 259 calories, 13 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrate, 26 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 60 mg sodium.
Juice of 4 lemons
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 lb. wild salmon, cut into 2-inch cubes
4 small plum tomatoes, cut into quarters or 8 cherry tomatoes
4 large whole mushrooms, stems removed, halved
1 medium green bell pepper, deseeded, cut into 12 pieces
1 medium yellow squash, cut into 8 pieces
Canola oil cooking spray
- If using wooden skewers (in lieu of metal ones), soak them in water for about 30 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl combine juice, oil, garlic, seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and divide in half.
- Add salmon and vegetables to half of marinade and gently toss to coat pieces.
- Cover and marinate for about 30 minutes, occasionally rearranging pieces to ensure even coating.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Spray large shallow baking dish.
- Remove skewers from water.
- Divide fish and vegetable pieces into 4 even portions.
- Arrange and distribute them evenly on skewers, being careful not to break the pieces.
- Place on baking dish.
- Brush with remaining marinade not used for marinating raw fish.
- Broil for about 5-8 minutes, brushing frequently with marinade.
- Carefully turn over kebabs and continue cooking for an additional 4 minutes, basting frequently until fish is done.
- Serve and enjoy.