Lemon Dill Quinoa Salad
Prep: 20 minutes
Looking for a light and healthy side dish to serve at your cookout? We've got your covered!
This lemon dill quinoa salad is chock full of fiber and is a good source of calcium, and the chickpeas make it even better.
"Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein, as well as fiber," says Christina Thomas, R.D-N. at Carilion Giles Community Hospital. "They are low in fat and a good source of iron and essential vitamins."
The addition of lemon juice and bell pepper provides vitamin C, which helps your body absorb the iron in the chickpeas and quinoa.
Don't have chickpeas in your pantry (or not a fan)? Substitute with another bean and garnish with your favorite herb or greens, such as cilantro, arugula or spinach.
1 cup quinoa, uncooked and rinsed
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups chickpeas
2 cups bell pepper
1 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
1/2 cup scallions
1 cup roma tomatoes, cored and chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Fluff with a fork, place in a large bowl and cool while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, dill, salt and black pepper. Pour this dressing over the cooling quinoa.
- To the quinoa, add the chickpeas, bell peppers, cucumbers, scallions, tomato and cayenne.
- Toss the salad mixture until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for an hour, letting the flavors incorporate further before serving.