Corn Pancakes With Honey Lime Drizzle
Prep: 5 minutes
3 minutes each
This recipe is definitely something a little different for your morning breakfast. Developed by Dana Jacobi at the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR), these light and easy pancakes incorporate the sweet fresh corn that is in abundance this time of year. And the lime and honey syrup gives it a sweet, yet zesty flavor that will make this no ordinary breakfast.
Per serving: 198 calories, 6 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 g carbohydrate, 7 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 197 mg sodium.
Reprinted with permission from the American Institute for Cancer Research. View more great recipes at AICR.org/healthyrecipes.
6 Tbsp. whole-wheat pastry flour
6 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg
2/3 cup 1 percent milk
4 tsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (1 medium ear)
1 medium scallion, green part only, very thinly sliced
1 egg white
2 Tbsp. honey, preferably wildflower
1-2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- In medium mixing bowl, combine flours and salt.
- In small bowl, use fork to beat egg.
- Add milk and melted butter and stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ones, mixing until combined but small lumps remain.
- Stir in corn and scallion greens.
- In small bowl, use hand or electric mixer to beat egg white until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold egg white into pancake batter.
- Coat heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, generously with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat.
- When drops of water flicked into pan bounce, re-stir pancake batter.
- Using 1/4 cup measure, scoop down to bottom of bowl and dip out about 3 tablespoons batter.
- Pour batter onto skillet, making 3 1/2-inch pancake.
- Repeat, placing pancakes 3 inches apart.
- Cook until bubbles dot pancakes, edges look opaque and bottoms are nicely browned, about 3 minutes.
- Flip pancakes and brown lightly on second side.
- Transfer pancakes to platter and cover to keep warm.
- For drizzle, in small bowl, whisk honey and 1 tablespoon lime juice together until combined.
- If syrup is too sweet, add more lime juice to taste.
- Serve pancakes with honey-lime drizzle.