Coconut Corn Salad
Prep: 15 minutes
What could be better than in-season sweet corn? In-season sweet corn with a coco-nutty tropical twist!
"Summer is a great time to try out new recipes that incorporate veggies," says Troy Mueller, R.D.-N., a registered dietitian with Carilion Clinic Dining and Nutrition Services. "Sometimes we get tired of the typical salad side dishes. This coconut corn salad is a fresh alternative."
With its coconut, corn and onions, this side dish is a fantastic source of fiber. Want to amp up its nutritional benefits even further? Troy suggests using pink Himalayan salt and grass-fed butter.
"Himalayan salt will decrease the overall sodium in the recipe and add micro amounts of trace minerals that are, at times, depleted in our soil," he explains, "and grass-fed butter makes the recipe relatively more heart-heallthy."
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 ears of corn, shucked
Fine grain salt, to taste
3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup toasted sliced almonds
3 tablespoons chopped red onions
Big squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the corn, sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt, and stir well until all of the corn is coated.
- Cook for one minute until the corn loses its raw edge. Stir in half of the thyme and then transfer the corn to a large serving bowl.
- Just before you're ready to serve, add most of the coconut flakes, most of the almonds, the rest of the thyme, red onions and citrus juice. Stir well.
- Taste and season with more salt, if needed.
- Serve topped with the remaining coconut and almonds.