Chocolate Banana Strudel
Prep: 20 minutes
Winter is winding down, but there are still some chilly days to come. If you have to stay inside, why not be cozy and enjoy a slice of chocolate banana strudel?
Sweet and comforting, it’s also good for you.
Chocolate and bananas have potassium, fiber and flavonoids, and a serving of this strudel is only 182 calories—less than many slices of pie or cake.
Isn’t it great that you can be healthy and treat yourself to a yummy dessert?
Reprinted with permission from the American Institute for Cancer Research. View more recipes at aicr.org/healthyrecipes.
8 (9" x 14") sheets phyllo pastry*
2 Tbsp. canola oil
8 Tbsp. whole-wheat panko
3 oz. dark chocolate (72 percent), finely chopped – until it resembles grated chocolate, divided
4 just-ripe large bananas, peeled and halved crosswise
1 large egg, beaten with 1 tsp. water
8 large fresh strawberries
*If you can find only 13" x 18" sheets, cut in half to make 13" by 9" sheets.
- Place a sheet of phyllo on wax paper with narrow end toward you.
- Brush it lightly with oil.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon panko over phyllo.
- Set a banana half 2 inches above bottom of phyllo.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon chocolate over and around banana.
- Lifting bottom edge of phyllo up over banana, roll it over, covering banana.
- Fold in sides, then finish rolling banana in phyllo.
- Transfer phyllo roll to prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat, wrapping remaining banana halves.
- Brush top, sides and ends of phyllo rolls liberally with beaten egg.
- Using small, sharp knife, make 2 diagonal slits in phyllo to let steam escape.
- Discard remaining egg.
- Bake phyllo rolls for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool baked phyllo rolls on baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place strawberry with bottom toward you and make 4 or 5 vertical cuts from base to near top, just below hull.
- Gently press on strawberry to fan out slices.
- To serve, transfer warm phyllo rolls to individual dessert plates.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon grated chocolate over each roll.
- Place a fanned strawberry on plate, and serve.