Chilly Cucumber Soup
Prep: 20 minutes
Cucumbers, which are mostly water and fiber, will help keep you hydrated and aid in digestion, but sometimes they might not seem like the most versatile item in your refrigerator. A great addition to a salad, perfection on a veggie plate…but what else?
We’ve got the answer—soup! Chilled cucumber soup, that is. This refreshing soup is big on flavor with herbs like dill and parsley, but it also is creamy and tangy thanks to the addition of sour cream. Give it a try this weekend!
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
6 whole scallions, chopped into thin rings
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 quart buttermilk
1 pint sour cream
Salt and pepper
- Peel cucumbers and cut them in half, scraping out seeds.
- Sprinkle the cucumbers with salt and let them stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain excess water.
- Dice the cucumbers into small pieces and put half of the pieces in the blender along with half of the scallions, dill, lemon juice, buttermilk and sour cream.
- Blend at high speed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in remaining diced cucumbers and scallions.
- Chill well before serving.