Chili Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Prep: 5 minutes
Sweet potatoes have a place on many holiday menus and family dinner tables this time of year. As a traditional comfort food, they are often served with brown sugar, marshmallows and lots of butter.
But they are called "sweet" potatoes for a reason: They are already sweet!
This recipe from Carilion Clinic's Dining and Nutrition Services balances the tubers' natural sweetness with a kick from unexpected spices. Gluten-free and lactose-free, a half-cup serving of chili roasted sweet potatoes has only 160 calories, 7 grams fat and 14 grams carbs. Give them a try, and remember: The last step in the recipe is optional!
2-3 medium sweet potatoes (peeled)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the potatoes into desired shapes (cubes, wedges or halves).
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, toss potatoes with olive oil, chili powder, kosher salt, cinnamon and black pepper.
- Place in a single layer on the parchment lined sheet pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and pierce easily with a fork.
- Remove from oven.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and serve immediately.