Chickpea & Cauliflower Buffalo Stuffed Peppers
Prep: 30 minutes
Using cauliflower rice and roasted chickpeas is a great way to make stuffed peppers meat-free in this recipe from Earth Fare and personal chef Claudia Laffin! You'll get lots of beneficial antioxidants, fiber, protein and nutrients with the added bonus of a delicious buffalo cream sauce.
Use a buffalo sauce that's mild or hot, based on what you like.
Reprinted with permission from Earth Fare. View more great recipes at earthfare.com/recipe.
2 cans chickpeas drained, and rinsed
3 tablespoons avocado oil, or other high heat cooking oil
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup heavy cream
4 ounces cream cheese
½ cup buffalo sauce
2 bags frozen cauliflower rice, brought to room temperature
4 red bell peppers
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread chickpeas on a clean towel and rub them dry, discarding any loose skins. Place the chickpeas in a bowl and toss them with the avocado oil, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper until well coated. Spread them on a baking sheet lined with parchment and roast, stirring half way through, for about 30 minutes, or until crisp. Set aside.
- Reduce the oven to 375°F. Combine cream, cream cheese, and buffalo sauce in a saucepan and cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until cheese is melted and sauce thickens. Set aside.
- Slice peppers down the middle and remove the seeds.
- Squeeze the water out of your room temperature cauliflower rice, and place in a large bowl. Add your roasted chickpeas, and cheesy buffalo sauce and stir together well.
- Fill your peppers evenly with mixture. Top with shredded cheddar and bake uncovered on center rack for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.