Carrot Asparagus Almond Salad
Prep: 25 minutes
'Tis the season for carrots! Ditch the lettuce and slice up carrots instead to make this quick and easy recipe that your whole family will enjoy.
Carrots and asparagus are both high in vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Toasted almonds add extra crunch with the added benefit of protein, and the heart-healthy dressing makes this dish a bright option for spring.
For more color, use a mixture of orange, yellow and purple carrots or green, purple or white asparagus!
Extra virgin olive oil
1 cup sliced almonds
Small handful cilantro, about 1/2 cup
1 medium clove garlic, peeled
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded
1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch/8 oz. baby carrots, scrubbed and sliced into strips lengthwise
1 bunch/16 oz. pencil-thin asparagus, stalks trimmed, cut in half and into 2-inch segments
Squeeze of lemon, optional
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- As the water comes to a boil, toast the almonds in a large skillet over medium heat in a splash of olive oil along with a pinch of salt.
- Cook almonds until they are a deep golden color, remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the dressing by combining the cilantro, garlic, jalapeno and salt in a food processor or a blender.
- Drizzle olive oil in while pulsing, continuing until the dressing is a creamy, vibrant green. Taste, and adjust to your liking with more salt, garlic, jalapeno and cilantro.
- Salt the boiling water generously and add the carrots.
- Wait 15 seconds and add the asparagus.
- Depending on the actual thickness of your carrots and asparagus, cook for about 30 to 60 more seconds. The vegetables should retain some structure and bite.
- Drain and immediately run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Spin dry in a salad spinner.
- In a large bowl, toss the vegetables with a generous splash of dressing. Toss well.
- Add 2/3 of the toasted almonds, and gently toss again.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning. Add a squeeze of lemon juice if desired.
- Serve family-style topped with the remaining almonds.