Beans and Greens Burrito
Prep: 10 minutes
If you are looking for ways to squeeze in more veggies in your daily diet, then look no further than this burrito from the American Institute for Cancer Research. With a crisp, green collard wrap, it is packed with vegetables from the inside out. Try it today and fill up on fiber and the cancer-protective carotenoids, vitamin K and the B vitamin folate.
Per serving: 130 calories, 3 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g protein, 6 g dietary fiber, 201 mg sodium.
Reprinted with permission from the American Institute for Cancer Research. View more great recipes at AICR.org/healthyrecipes.
4 large collard green leaves, rinsed
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/3 cup hummus
1/4 cup chunky salsa, mild or medium
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- On cutting board, lay each collard green leaf with top up and gently smooth leaf. Slice 4-5 inches off bottom to remove large stem.
- Slice 4-5 inches off bottom to remove large stem.
- Bring large pot of water to boil.
- Drop leaves in and blanch 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully remove from pot and lay flat on kitchen towel to drain and cool.
- Lay leaves in assembly line manner with top end up and cut bottom down.
- In mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients.
- Mix gently but thoroughly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place mixture, evenly divided, in center of leaf and shape thick line from top to bottom leaving two inches at top and bottom.
- Gently fold up bottom edge, then top edge down.
- Next, fold left edge toward center and roll to right to form a burrito.
- Serve whole or cut diagonally in half.