Baked Sweet Potato With Black Bean Chili
Prep: 5 minutes
Chili doesn’t have to cook all day to taste good. If you don’t have time to prep a crockpot before heading out the door, give this baked sweet potato and black bean chili recipe a try—it can be ready in under an hour!
Packed with fiber and protein from the sweet potatoes and black beans, this meal will warm you up and keep you feeling fuller for a longer period of time. Serve it with your favorite side salad and enjoy!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, small dice
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and medium dice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup celery, small dice
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups black beans, low sodium, drained
2 cups tomato sauce, low sodium
4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed
1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, celery, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften and are starting to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne and stir to coat the vegetables. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the black beans and tomato sauce, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced and the flavors have combined, about 15 minutes.
- While waiting for the liquid to reduce, pierce the sweet potatoes all over with a paring knife, and place on a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave the potatoes on high for 5 minutes. Rotate them and cook until they are soft to the touch, about 4 or 5 minutes more.
- When the chili is ready, carefully make a slit in the top of each potato (watch out for escaping steam).
- Using a fork, break up the insides so that they're soft and mashed. Top each sweet potato with a large helping of chili and serve immediately.