Avocado Mint Pesto Pasta
Looking for a new way to prepare your pasta? Try it with avocado, basil and mint!
"Fresh basil contains antibacterial properties, and mint has been shown to decrease cramping and bloating associated with irritable bowel sydrome," says Robyn Rohrig, R.D.-N. at Carilion Wellness Roanoke.
Avocados are full of vitamins, minerals and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. They add a smooth, creamy texture to this dish.
For a healthier option, try it with zucchini noodles!
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Make the pesto while waiting for the water to boil.
- Place the walnuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to roughly chop.
- Add the basil, mint leaves and garlic and pulse to chop.
- Add the avocado, cheese, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and process until pesto has a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Add peas to boiling pasta water in the last two minutes of cook time.
- Drain pasta and peas, then immediately return to the pot. Add the pesto and toss the pasta and peas until thoroughly coated. Serve warm.