Many of you might already be thinking about your goals for the new year and how you can finally make it the year you start (and stick to) a regular exercise routine. And you are not alone. I see so many people who start the year with good intentions, but they don’t get very far because they are not sure where to start.
Don’t worry, I have you covered. The weekly workout routine and schedule below will get you started and help you jump start your fitness routine. This total body routine is just two days of cardio and two days strength training, but it will help you see results fast, ensuring that you stick to your healthy resolutions.
The schedule is designed to strengthen and tone your entire body while also increasing your endurance and cardiovascular fitness.
1. Squats: 3 sets of 10 with a 60 second rest between each set.
2. Lat pull downs: 3 sets of 10 with a 60 second rest between each set.
3. Step-ups: 3 sets of 8 with a 45 second rest between each set.
4. Seated rows: 3 sets of 8 with a 45 second rest between each set.
5. Alternating dumbbell curls: 3 sets of 10 with a 60 second rest between each set.
Warm-up: Walk on a treadmill (or on a hill or trail) at 5 percent incline or more for 20 to 40 minutes. Next, perform each exercise below, resting for 60 seconds in between each set.
1. Chest press: 3 sets of 10.
2. Elliptical or cycle: 1 Tabata round (alternate 20 seconds hard and 10 seconds easy for 4 minutes).
3. Shoulder press: 3 sets of 10.
4. Elliptical or Cycle: 1 Tabata round.
5. Triceps pushdown: 3 sets of 10.
6. Elliptical or cycle: 1 Tabata round.
7. Push-ups: 3 sets of 10.
8. Elliptical or cycle: 1 Tabata round.
Wednesday: Rest Day
Do some gentle stretches or take a leisurely walk outside. Just don’t forget to inject activity throughout your day.
Repeat Monday's strength workout.
Repeat Tuesday's cardio workout.
Saturday and Sunday: Active Recovery Days
Get outside and have some fun.
Once you get the hang of this routine, switch it up and set some new fitness goals for yourself, such as signing up for a race or trying out a challenging new class at your gym. You never know where your new found fitness could take you!
Before performing any exercise consult your physician for clearance. Stop exercising immediately if you feel lightheaded, dizzy or have chest pains.
Skip the initiation fee, not your workout. Join in January 2019 and we will waive your initiation fee!
Find your strength at Carilion Wellness!