The new school year is upon us. Are your kids ready? We talked with Carilion Clinic providers to see how they help their kids make the transition from the lazy days of summer to the structure and routine of the academic calendar.
They say that for kids of every age, the right supplies and the right routines are necessary building blocks to school success. Specifically:
- Shop for school supplies together
- Adjust sleep schedules a week or two before school starts, especially for younger children
- Get back into regular dinner and nighttime routines
Some families take a less-structured approach to back-to-school planning.
“We really don't have any back-to-school rituals,” said one Carilion Children's pediatrician. “We focus on school supply shopping a couple weeks before school goes back and otherwise just try to plan for the adjustments in schedules once school is in session.”
These back-to-school strategies can help kids:
- Adjust bedtimes and wake-up times in advance of the start of school
- Organize clothes and sort out what still fits and what needs to be replaced
- Clear out a quiet, dedicated space for homework and stock it with school supplies
Like all parents, Carilion Clinic providers are busy this time of year stocking up on school supplies, thinking of new breakfast and lunchbox ideas and trying to get their kids to fall asleep before it’s entirely dark outside.
By following these tips, their kids and yours will have a great start to a successful school year.