Carilion Clinic’s Infectious Diseases experts continue to be called on to educate the public about coronavirus, the COVID-19 vaccines and the flu. But our leaders and specialists are also in demand to share their expertise across the medical spectrum.
A few recent interviews are listed below.
- Paul Skolnik, M.D., chair of Medicine, was interviewed by Vox on the Delta virus and children.
- Robert Trestman, Ph.D., M.D., chair of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, spoke with the Wall Street Journal about mental health challenges for Medicare recipients.
Closer to Home
- Nancy Howell Agee, president and CEO, spoke with State of Reform about the pandemic, telehealth and the future of value-based care.
- Christy Arthur, M.D., Family and Community Medicine, penned an op-ed in the Roanoke Times urging COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Anthony Baffoe-Bonnie, M.D., medical director of Carilion Clinic Infection Prevention and Control, talked with WFXR about the COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 5-11.
- Bryan Collier, D.O., chief of Acute Care Surgery, was interviewed by WDBJ about gun violence.
- Emily Evans-Hoeker, M.D., chief of Reproductive Endocrinology, and Jaclyn Nunziato, M.D., Obstetrics and Gynecology, were interviewed by WFIR on pregnancy, fertility and COVID vaccines. Dr. Nunziato was also interviewed by WDBJ.
- Dorothy Garner, M.D., interim chief of Infectious Diseases, was interviewed by WSLS, WSET and WDBJ on monoclonal antibody treatment.
- Donald Kees, M.D., interim chair of Pediatrics, was interviewed by WFXR, WSLS and the Roanoke Times on the opening of Carilion Children's Tanglewood Center.
- Shyam Odeti, M.D., chief of Hospital Medicine, was interviewed by The Hospitalist magazine about COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy and was featured on its October cover.
- Jessica Partin, M.D., General Surgery, was interviewed by WFXR about advances in breast cancer screenings.
- Edmundo Rubio, M.D., chief of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, was interviewed by WDBJ about new endobronchial treatments for COPD.
- Dr. Skolnik was interviewed by WSLS on the effectiveness of Pfizer’s vaccine and appeared on a Virginia Tech panel on COVID-19 mitigation efforts, which was picked up by several local media outlets. Dr. Skolnik also spoke with Health News Digest about avoiding the “twindemic” of COVID-19 and the flu this season.
- Dr. Trestman participated in an American Hospital Association podcast on minority mental health and spoke with WSLS about digital devices and anxiety and depression.
- Alyssa Watkins, M.D., Obstetrics and Gynecology, was interviewed by WSLS about breast cancer in women of color.
And finally, if you ever wonder why so many leaders in medicine choose Carilion Clinic over opportunities elsewhere, check out this Roanoke Times article, in which Robert Brown, M.D., and Andrew Moore, M.D., Emergency Medicine; Jonathan Maher, M.D., Sports Medicine; and Sarah Henrickson Parker, Ph.D., shared their views about our organization and our region.
Nancy Howell Agee elaborated on the topic, speaking with Cardinal News about efforts to make Virginia the top state for talent. Cardinal News is a new nonprofit, nonpartisan news outlet serving southwest and southside Virginia.
Follow Carilion Clinic on social media to stay on top of emerging trends, research and recommendations from a source you can trust.