Red Lentil Soup
Prep: 10 minutes
This simple, flavorful and nutritious soup is the perfect go-to meal. Thanks to the red lentils, it is full of fill-you-up soluble fiber, and when combined with a whole grain, lentils provide the same quality protein as meat!
Plus, lentils are a nutritional powerhouse with iron, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc and potassium, and out of all plant-based foods, lentils contain the most folate. Can't beat that for a quick and easy meal.
Thank you to our Carilion Clinic registered dietitians for providing this delicious recipe.
Per 1 cup serving: 170 calories, 6 grams fiber, 5 grams protein.
1 cup chopped onions
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 cups diced carrots
½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper
1 tsp coriander and ground cumin
1 cup red lentils
6 cups vegetable broth
1 cup uncooked whole wheat pasta, small shells
- Sauté the onions in oil until tender.
- Add the carrots and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add all seasonings and stir for 1 minute.
- Add broth and lentils; bring the vegetable mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook 20 minutes.