Is your fitness routine in a rut? Or maybe you can't seem to get into a routine? Try my favorite summer workout and get back on track.
This total body routine is just two days of cardio and two days of strength training, but it will help you get in shape fast. The schedule is designed to strengthen and tone your entire body while also increasing your endurance and cardiovascular fitness. Get ready!
1. Squats: 3 sets of 10 with a 60 second rest between each set.
2. Lat pull downs: 3 sets of 10 with a 60 second rest between each set.
3. Step-ups: 3 sets of 8 with a 45 second rest between each set.
4. Seated rows: 3 sets of 8 with a 45 second rest between each set.
5. Alternating dumbbell curls: 3 sets of 10 with a 60 second rest between each set.
Warm-up: Walk on a treadmill (or on a hill or trail) at 5 percent incline or more for 20 to 40 minutes. Next, perform each exercise below, resting for 60 seconds in between each set.
1. Chest press: 3 sets of 10.
2. Elliptical or cycle: 1 Tabata round (alternate 20 seconds hard and 10 seconds easy for 4 minutes).
3. Shoulder press: 3 sets of 10.
4. Elliptical or cycle: 1 Tabata round.
5. Triceps pushdown: 3 sets of 10.
6. Elliptical or cycle: 1 Tabata round.
7. Push-ups: 3 sets of 10.
8. Elliptical or cycle: 1 Tabata round.
Wednesday: Rest Day
Do some gentle stretches or take a leisurely walk outside. Just don’t forget to inject activity throughout your day.
Repeat Monday's strength workout.
Repeat Tuesday's cardio workout.
Saturday and Sunday: Active Recovery Days
Get outside and have some fun.
Try the above routine for two weeks and check back in on July 5 for another weekly workout schedule to keep you going!
Find your strength at Carilion Wellness!
Before performing any exercise consult your physician for clearance. Stop exercising immediately if you feel lightheaded, dizzy or have chest pains.